Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My work from November/December..




Since my progress review, and after I decided to begin a new direction, I have been still keeping the theme of maps but incorporating things like rubbish into it in which I found on my journey to and from college. As I explained earlier on in the blog, I wanted to encorporate more detailed drawing and painting into my work. In order to combine these two things together, I began transforming the images of different litter into a type of map formation. In the above image, I created a college dealing with rubbish and maps to help show the direction I was taking. I then photocopied it making it even more interesting as it was seen in 2d form.

The first piece of rubbish I found on my journey to college was an apple core. After working on a few things in my sketchbook using paint, charcoal and other mediums I did a large scale painting of it and using a line with ''Parkville Court'' on one side, and ''LSAD'' on the other I painted in the area in which I found it. As I began finding other interesting objects like a coke can, crisp packet, bananna skin and cigarette butt, I used the same idea of combing the map as well as keeping the theme of a journey to and from college. Each colour I used to mark in where the object was found now represented that object in a way similar to the way maps sometimes work. Here are some things I have been working on over the past few weeks... :)




Contour drawings of apple cores


Crushed coke cans with a line underneath symbolising the area from my apartments to college where the can was found.

To create a road like surface on this I used tissue papper mixed with pva glue along with black acrylic paint. I then did the can in pontillism..









Prints I did on the map of Limerick..


For these prints I combined acrylic paint with red ink to see what the results would be. They didn't print very well but I still think they are effective and make you take a second glance..

No comments:

Post a Comment